What is Rail Based Urban Development?
Rail Based Urban development is intelligent and creative arrangement of land-uses,in vicinity of transit stations by interaction with the mass transit stations regarding their attractiveness and densities,so that mass transit system (because of its comfort and economic utility) would be the major travel mode.
This policy which is based on the equitable civilian rights and their access to the urban opportunities,comprises many economic advantages via synergy with mix land-uses and maximizing efficiency of the transit systems.
Rail Based Urban Development is simultaneously applicable in the local,urban,and regional scales,and is not limited to the megacities,but it is more efficient in the middle scale cities and is a national policy.
| ||The Third session of the Scientific Committee|
The Third session of the Scientific Committee of the conference was held on Aug. 27,2016 at Iran Railway Company’s Headquarter. Minutes of meeting and details of the session will soon be uploaded at the website
1-Thoroughly discuss and examine theoretical basis of Rail Based Urban Development to local settings,and it’s applications with regard to Iran’s rich national architectural heritage and urban development history in conjunction with modern urban needs.
2-Determination of practical steps to implement RBUD in Iranian cities and urban regions.
Objectives and advantages of Rail Based Urban Development
The first objective is encouragement of the residents and employees to use public transportation systems,instead of passenger cars. This is the most important and major objective in RBUD.
The second objective is to minimize traffic jam and congestion (both in urban and suburban areas) via encouraging lower auto-dependency.
The third objective is to increase pedestrianisation and non-motorized transportation.
The fourth objective is to encourage and emphasize the physical and functional diversity of developments and mix land-uses via TOD in the urban and suburban areas.
The fifth objective is expansion of rail transportation.
Achievement of these objectives will lead promoting quality of life,improvement in social health,reaching the desired levels of economic development,social justice,and environmental objectives along with maximum access to the public transit.
Rail Based Urban Development and….
- New Urbanism Theoretical Bases
- Social Development
- Economic Development
- Promotion of quality of life
- Executive aspects (financial,legal,technical)
- RBUD,Culture and Communications
These issues is expected to be presented as the conference sessions,panel discussions,workshops,and lectures :
New Urbanism Theoretical Bases
RBUD and Transportation
- Concepts and goals of RBUD
- RBUD in New Urbanism Theories
- RBUD,Regional and Urban Area Development
- Setting Criteria to establish the geographic boundaries,scale and location of the Metropolitan Regions.
- Effects of city size,scale,and pattern in RBUD
- Integrating Urban and Regional development,with Transportation Systems,along with presenting the Best Practices.
- Integration of Transportation Systems
- Role of the different Transportation Modes( Road,Rail,Marine,Air Transportation) in RBUD
- Transportation Safety
- Promoting Public Transportation Systems Efficiency and Reduction of Passenger cars Travel Demand
- Urban Land Reclamation in RBUD (Freight Transport Land-Uses),World Best Practices and domestic potentials.
- Solutions to reduce the negative impacts of railways,crossing cities
RBUD and the Environment
RBUD and the Economic Development
- Environmental aspects and Sustainable development
- Sustaining Land Permeability by preventing the Urban Sprawl
- Preserving the Landscapes as an Intergenerational Capital.
- The Macro-Economic Effects Of RBUD
- RBUD and Investment Opportunities
- RBUD Economic Diversity and Prosperity in Urban Areas
RBUD and promoting the Quality of Life
- Urban Regeneration
- Promoting Residents’ Sense Of Place and community
- Preserving the Cityscapes,Natural and Cultural Sceneries
Implementing the RBUD (Financial,Legal,and Technical Aspects)
- Methods of financing RBUD Projects
- Legal and Organizational challenges of RBUD in Iran
- Developing the right Institution for implementing RBUD
- Implementation patterns of RBUD for Large,Medium,and Small-Scale Cities and Regions
- Promote Benefits of RBUD plans by Integrating other needs,like: “Resilience”
- Presenting national and Local Government Support (Financial) packages to Promote RBUD Project Implementation
- Measures to Utilize the indirect Benefits of RBUD ( such as Carbon Tax,…)
- How to Revise Existing Development Plans to Incorporate TOD Concepts
RBUD and Social Development
- Social Equity
- Improving Citizens’ Access to Opportunities
- RBUD,Slums and Marginalization of the poor
- Security in streets and public spaces (specially for women)
RBUD,Culture and Communications
- Identification of Cultural Factors influencing Rail Based Urban Development
- Role of the knowledge-sharing among government,planners and other stakeholders,in RBUD Implementation
- Role of Public Awareness in Spreading the concept of RBUD
- Understanding market forces in successful TOD
Organizers: Iran Ministry of Road and urban Development,Deputy for Urban Planning
Islamic Republic of Iran Railway Company
Address : Iran Railways Company,Africa Highway,Argentina Square,Tehran,Iran
Telephone : +98 - 21- 55127531-2
Fax: +98 - 21- 55127503